Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat just ate 30 mg of armour thyroid pill (1/2 of a 60 mg

Customer Question

My cat just ate 30 mg of armour thyroid pill (1/2 of a 60 mg pill). He is almost 12 pounds. What should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he have this?

Is this milligrams or micrograms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
milligrams
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

And when did he have this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he ate it about 30 minutes ago - he seems fine. He is eating his breakfast and by looking at him seems fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a scam! You don't want to help- you just want to make money!!! Do not give me an answer! Do not charge my card ! You have not helped me but just want money from a pet owner that is concerned about her pet! Yelp here I come!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if he has had that much, it is a 5.5mg/kg dose for him. This is quite an overdose for a cat his size. Adverse signs are likely and we could see agitation, excitability, and an increased heart rate.

Therefore, in this situation, we have a few options. If it has only been 30 minutes, we can intervene now. First, you can induce vomiting at this point. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 0.5ml per pound. (1 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, this is a high dose for him. It is too early for signs, so his being normal just now isn't surprising. But we could see the above effects over the next 24 hours. Therefore, you can use the above to prevent that or plan to monitor him and keep him calm as this passes through his system. Of course, if you choose the latter an he does get quite distressed, then he may need to visit his vet for IVfluids and sedation.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

As you can see I had quite a bit to type out for you on how to help him.

As I am a human just like you, it takes a few minute for me to do so.

In any case, you need to do the above now to address this situation.

Have a good day,

Dr. B.