Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Every chance my cat gets, it is peeing on my duvet. I've had

Customer Question

Every chance my cat gets, it is peeing on my duvet. I've had her checked out several times, the last time about three weeks ago. She did have symptoms of crystallized urine (??), but we changed her diet right away, and she is still peeing on my duvet, or upholstered chairs. Anything that is comfy and expensive. She is three years old.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about what Molly is doing to your furniture. I feel your pain, I had a cat that didn't like to use the litter box and we had to replace 2 rooms of carpet, padding and subfloor.

Is she an only cat? How many litter boxes do you have?

What diet did you change her to? Has a urinalysis been done to see if the new diet is stopping the crystals in her urine?

Sorry for all the questions. This can be a difficult problem ( I will tell you my whole saga and what I had to do to get my cat in the litter box) and the more information I have the more I can help. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is on Royal Canin Urinary SO, both the dry and the canned (not the pate, the chunks.) She had also lost weight this spring, but has put on a little since she went on that food.She had a urine analysis done on August 27, no crystallization, but the tech (who read it just now for me) said "red blood cells were present". I said the vet hadn't mentioned that to me and she said that maybe there wasn't enough to worry about. I didn't think to ask the number.A little more background - she was an inside cat for the first year and started wanting to go outside. I tried to keep her inside, but then she was peeing in the house then. I've always assumed this is behavioural and I would explain away some the the peeing - (my son who she doesn't like came to visit, I changed her diet, I went away, etc.), but just as often there were no antecedents to point a finger at - last night, for example. She came into the bathroom, I scratched her head for a while and then she went into the bedroom and peed on the bed. I had a Litter Robot that has a timer that gets activated when it's used and it was on, which means the timeline is this - She poops in the Litter Robot, comes upstairs, sees the bedroom door which is usually closed, is now open, comes in the bathroom, gets positive attention, leaves, gives a little meow to let me know what she is doing and pees on the duvet.I don't know what is redundant information at this point, but there it all is. I hope you can help.Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Opps, forgot to answer a couple of questions. She is an only cat. I did have three litter boxes (one per floor plus one), but then I got the litter robot and after a year of her not using the other two, took them away. The last one was only taken away about three weeks ago.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I was away at work when you got back to me.

With problem cats, I recommend at least one more litter pan than cats, so if she is an only cat, I would have two. I am not familiar with the litter robot, but many cats do not like litter pans that make noises, or are covered, so I would have an uncovered litter pan.

I would try adding Cat Attract to the litter; it is an herbal product that gets many problem cats in the litter box. Catnip is another thing to try.

Use unscented, clumping litter.

Keep as many doors closed as possible, to limit her access to furniture.

I would not discount the red blood cells in her urine. Has an Xray been done to be sure she does not have bladder stones?

The first thing I do when a cat is not using the litter box is to find out if this is all behavior, or if it could be a physical problem. If she has any crystals in her urine, or stones in her bladder, that can cause stinging or burning with urination, as well as an urgency to urinate. If you Xray her and there are no stones, and you do a urinalysis that shows no crystals, no blood cells , and a pH of 6.5, then I would assume it is behavioral. If Cat Attract does not help, I might consider anti anxiety medication.

My cat did not like using a litter box with other cats, and got to be really bad. I "retrained" her like I train a new kitten. I put her in a bathroom with food and water and litter, and only let her out when she emptied her bladder in the litter. Gradually she learned that the price of freedom was using the litter, and she got to be outside more and more, but she always had to be confined with the litter for part of the day.

Let me know what else I can answer. Rebecca