Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have 3 rescue cats--two of whom I got months before my

Customer Question

Hi there, I have 3 rescue cats--two of whom I got months before my newest addition. They have had chronic eye issues and I have been to three doctors. Eye drops only seemed to make it worse/famcicolovir was working but my Vet lowered the dosage and I am not finding it as effective. Can I give my cats Axyclovir? if so at what dose and what should i lookout for in terms of whether the antibiotic is causing more harm than good
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about your cats. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am sorry to see you have waited this long for help from an expert; I just came online and am seeing your question for the first time myself.

Do you mean Acyclovir, the eye ointment? If so, it can be used in cats, but most experts I checked with do not think it helps much. You can't give it orally to cats; it can cause bone marrow suppression.

Has doxycycline (oral) been tried, or Terramycin eye ointment?

Again, sorry for the wait. Let me know if I can help with anything else. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How are your cats doing?