Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.
Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your questions.
Sorry to hear about your mishap with Casey. I need to do a little sleuthing about toxicity from this product in order to advise you. In the meantime, if I remember correctly it's a little oily? So I would use some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to try to remove any residue.
Is he eating okay still? Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Where on his neck did you put it? Is it possible he ingested any while grooming?
Found a link for very basic info. http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/camphor/
Well I can't find much more. It is listed as mildly to moderately toxic.
Under the circumstances, the best thing to do is get Casey to your vet for a thorough exam and possible blood/urine tests if anything seems out of order. Camphor can cause neurologic problems (trembling, seizures, etc), kidney problems, and liver problems. You'd want to know about any of those before they get so bad as to cause collapse or death.
He might just need observation and supportive care for a couple of days (IV fluids, nutritional support). It's really hard to say. But the fact that he isn't acting right tells you there definitely is a problem, and there's no way to assure you that he will get well on his own.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Hope he's feeling better real soon.