Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 9 week old kitten was given a dose of Revolution by our

Customer Question

my 9 week old kitten was given a dose of Revolution by our vet on September 10th. Just this morning, I have found flea eggs in his sleeping area and, more distressingly, two white worms protruding from his anus. I had been checking his stool since the vet visited, but this is the first time I am seeing anything. I have his next dose of revolution ready for october 10th, but is there anything I should be doing now?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your kitten. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How big where the white worms you saw? They are probably tapeworms, which pass as a 1/2 inch long, moving, white worm. Revolution does not kill tapeworms; you need a medication called praziquantel.

Flea eggs are microscopic in size; you can't see them with the naked eye. If you are seeing black dots in his sleeping area that could be flea dirt. If you can clean his sleeping area, or put his bed or bedding through the washing machine and dryer.

If you are seeing any fleas on him, do not use the Revolution again until the 10th, but you can bath him in Dawn dish detergent to kill fleas. Be sure to rinse him and dry him well afterward.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey there Rebecca, your response is very helpful, thank you. Those were indeed the worms I saw on him, and the eggs I found looked like yellow grains of rice- about 10-15 of them. Considering what you've mentioned, it turns out those are indeed tapeworm eggs and I am working to get him a dose of praziquantel ASAP!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Those yellow grains of rice are probably more dried up tapes worms. The praziquantel should help.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else, and let me know how he is doing. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Kindly consider rating my answer ( always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your kitten doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?