Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I needed to vacate my apartment within 1 month and luckily

Customer Question

I needed to vacate my apartment within 1 month and luckily found one within that time: awful news is about the Cat: that I was extremely anxious to get out of there and had to take an apt that was available by the 15th; Scooter 16-year-old DSH who of course was frightened to death etc. when the movers started yanking the furniture out under which Scooter was hiding. The poor animal is extremely attached to my mother (with whom I shared the apt); he left for 36 hrs and came back, but moving was still occurring and so he ate and left again.
My Nephew lived with my mother upstairs and the kid is there until the 30th: Bot***** *****ne is that my thinking was that Scooter wouldn't come anywhere near those premises but have just learned that in fact he's in the yard just next door, atop of the awning. Question: How can I lure him into the carrier (aside from leaving food and water outside)? Scooter has been "living outside" since the 16th of the month. Thank you very much.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Scooter is so upset about your move. Moving and change are very difficult for cats as they are very much creatures of habit.

There are no effective ways to catch a cat without using food. I would try the following steps: Have your nephew leave out food and water and move it closer and closer to his apartment until he can convince Scooter to come inside the apartment and trap him inside. If that is not successful, I would consider a live trap. This starts with putting the trap outside and placing food near the trap. Each day you move the food closer and closer to the trap and eventually inside the trap. The live trap works by closing the door behind the cat once it enters the cage and keeps them confined until you release the door. I know that you were not wanting to use food, but I cannot think of any other way to trap a cat without using a tranquilizer dart.

You may also consider contacting your local animal shelter or animal control. They may have other ideas on how to catch a cat.

Good luck to you and Scooter!

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001