Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I recently rescued a female cat and introduced her slowly

Customer Question

I recently rescued a female cat and introduced her slowly into my household of 3 male cats. All went well until my "alpha" cat started pooping in the bathtub. I keep the litter boxes clean and scooped every day, so I don't think this is a hygiene issue. The male cat in question hisses whenever she is in the room with him. The other 2 cats are fine. What can I do with my male cat who seems to have no tolerance? He is given extra attention, but this doesn't seem to help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your cats aren't getting along.

First we should address the house soiling by your male cat. The following is a link to an excellent discussion on all things related to feline house soiling:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=633

The next things you may consider would be an herbal remedy such as Composure or Feliway Spray or Diffuser. These can help alleviate stress and may help your alpha cat calm down.

Lastly, if all of the above recommendations are not helpful, please consider consulting with an animal behavior specialist. These are veterinarians who have gone to three extra years of schooling to learn about dog behavior and specific training and medications (if needed) to help remedy undesirable behavior. To find a specialist near you check out their website at www.dacvb.org.

Good luck to you and all of your cats!

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi, How are things with your cats? Any improvement with the behavior of your kitties? Were the above links helpful for deciding on the next step? Do you have any other questions I can help you with?

Also, If you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda