Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

One of my cats has been ding since Monday morning when we

Customer Question

one of my cats has been hiding since Monday morning when we had a new mattress delivered, the box spring being one of her hideouts. My other cat also hid but has come out and eaten a little and cries , running back and forth. We don't
think she got out, but are worried she did( not an outside cat). What can we do to draw her out and how long can she maintain herself hidden?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if she is a timid cat and you don't think you left the doors open for her to make an escape, then it is more likely that she is still in the house hiding out in what she considers a "safe haven".

Now these situations can always be daunting since cats are much better at hide & seek then we are. In this case, to determine where she is in the house, the best step here would be to put some of that food/water/treats +/- a litter box out in each room you suspect she could be in. The door should then closed overnight (since quiet times are the most likely times she would risk coming out for these). In the morning, you want to check each resource site for activity. This will clue you into what room she is likely in and narrow down your search.

From there, you will want to check all the hiding spots in that room to find her. As well, you can try using a Feliway/Comfort Zone diffuser in that room or once she is in reach you can try her with a oral calming supplement (ie Zlykene, Kalmaid, Composure, Bach's Pet Rescue Remedy). Both are ideal hereto help her cope with the stress that she is feeling related to the new smells/sight/noise that came with the arrival of this furniture.

Overall, Biscuit does sound like a timid lass. We don't want to just leave her as she is (since we cannot predict how long an individual cat will stay in hiding, especially as having access to food/water in the night means there would be no limit if she was determined). So, we'd use the above here to hopefully pinpoint her location and then address her stress to help her regain the confidence to come back out of hiding and rejoin the family.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice! It doesn't seem that she has surfaced at all. How long can she hold out?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

It does depend on her technique here. If she is staying where she is and not sneaking out at night for food/water, then we'd only expect a few days. If she is when you are sleeping, then she would be able to hold out for longer (perhaps a week or more). That said, we tend to want to actively look for them and use the above sooner then that since anorexic cats can cause themselves a secondary condition called fatty liver syndrome. This can trigger vomiting, dehydration, and make them quite poorly. So, we'd want to find her as soon as possible as opposed to letting her come out in her own time if you know what I mean. Of course, once we know where she is, we can use the above and let her retreat until she is feeling brave. But we'd just want to have that knowledge of where she is and make sure we are keeping her eating/drinking.

All the best,

Dr. B.