Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

We have a outdoor kitten which was born about aug 5th she

Customer Question

we have a outdoor kitten which was born about aug 5th she has eyes that keep getting matted shut and she doesn't seem to eat that we haven't seen momma cat feeding her. we have been using warm water on a soft washcloth it works but ends up coming back. what should we do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Faith is sick. Very young cats are prone to upper respiratory infections and their immune systems are not strong enough to fight them off. This has led to the mucus build-up and the lethargy. There are some viruses that can also cause conjunctivitis (eye infection) and can potentially be fatal.

I would continue to use a warm, wet washcloth to clean the eyes as often as needed. I would offer canned cat food as well as kitten milk replacer in a bottle if the kitten is not eating solid foods yet. I would not recommend any other kind of milk, as these are not high enough in protein for a carnivore like a cat.

I would also recommend taking her to your regular veterinarian tomorrow. They will prescribe antibiotics and possibly eye cream and these will help her recover from her illness more quickly.

Good luck to you and Faith,

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi, How is Faith this evening? Are her eyes improving? Is she eating and drinking well? Do you have any further questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda