How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14826
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat swallowed a selenium 200 mcg tablet. What do I need

Customer Question

My cat swallowed a selenium 200 mcg tablet. What do I need to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned that Molly ingested 200mcg of selenium.

In general, a single acute oral dose of selenium in the range of 1–10 mg/kg or 0.45- 4.54mg/lb (there are 2.2 pounds per kilogram) may be lethal in most animals.

200mcg = 0.2mgs (there are 1,000mcgs in 1 mg).

If she is a 5 pound cat she would have ingested 0.04mgs per pound of body weight. (0.2mg/5lbs = 0.04mgs/lb), not nearly a lethal dose, and in fact close to the normal daily recommended amount, therefore not likely to produce any signs of toxicity.

Signs of selenium toxicity include hair loss, lameness, anemia (low numbers of red blood cells), and liver inflammation, damage and scarring. But I don't believe that Molly ingested enough to be concerned about.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related Cat Veterinary Questions