Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat was given Amoxicillin a few hours ago possible upper

Customer Question

My cat was given Amoxicillin a few hours ago for a possible upper respiratory infection or feline herpes symptoms. She was acting normal when we first got back from the vet, begging for food as usual, but when I fed her she only ate half the bowl. She then went upstairs and vomited it all up and climbed into my bed. The vet told me that she might throw up so I didn't really worry about it, I just figured I would call him back tomorrow and let him know what was happening. But, now it has been two hours and she is still laying in the same spot she initially ran to, will not let me even get close to picking her up or she meows in pain, seems extremely lethargic, and cannot seem to fully open her eyes.
I am just wondering if this is a normal reaction and we will need to try a different antibiotic or if this is a serious reaction for which I should call an emergency vet clinic and take her in.
She seems to be breathing alright (meds were to treat upper respiratory so not any worse than before) and I don't think she has a fever.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara - I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Tegan isn't feeling so well!

What you are describing isn't really normal, but it's also something that can happen with antibiotics. It's not unusual for us to see GI upset from medications like antibiotics. I have even seen some kitties vomit multiple times just after getting their first dose. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if it's the medicine or car sickness - the timing of events can sometimes sort this out.

I certainly would call your vet in the morning and report what's happened - they may want to switch antibiotics or they may suggest an injection rather than oral medicine. Convenia is an injectable antibiotic with a very similar (if not broader) spectrum than amoxicillin.

If you can rouse her and she lifts her head and interacts with you and her gums are nice and pink and you're not seeing any facial swelling or hives, it's likely OK to continue to monitor her tonight. If you're seeing any sort of labored breathing or abdominal distention, I would consider a trip to the ER. Also, if you could get a rectal temperature on her and she's over 103, I would also suggest an ER visit.

It could be that she's actually allergic to amoxicillin, or just that she's sensitive to the GI effects. In any case, if she doesn't recover well, I'd likely avoid amoxicililn in the future.

Hope that this helps and that she's feeling better soon :) Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara