Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Is humulin n the right insulin cat? Also how soon after he

Customer Question

Is humulin n the right insulin for a cat? Also how soon after he eats should I give it?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear your cat Slick is diabetic. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has he been diabetic? Is he on a diabetic diet?

Every diabetic cat is different, and the type of insulin that works for one, may not be the best for the next. I usually start diabetic cats on Prozinc insulin. It is made for cats; Humulin N is made for people.

I also start a diabetic cat on a low carbohydrate diet. Sometimes we are lucky enough to get a diabetic cat off insulin if they get a low carb high protein diet such as Purina DM or Evo or Royal Canin glycemic control diet.

I usually give the insulin when I feed, or shortly after feeding.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was just diagnosed today,his blood glucose was 440,he's lost about 6 lbs,increased drinking and urinating. The vet ordered the insulin,no change in diet at this time,to see Slick in 2 weeks for more testing. Will the humulin n insulin hurt him?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Humulin N will not hurt him, it just might control his diabetes well. I myself usually start with an insulin made just for cats, but some cats don't do well on Prozinc, and do better on the Humulin. If your vet is used to using it, I would go along with what he recommends.

I would ask about a diet change. About 10 to 20% of cats can go off insulin after a few weeks, if they get on a low carb diet.

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Can I help with anything else? Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Slick? Kindly consider rating our conversation.