Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Re: VACCINATIONS VACCINATIONS + CATS. I HAVE A 6 MONTH OLD

Customer Question

Re : VACCINATIONS FOR KITTENS VACCINATIONS FOR FELV + CATS . I HAVE A 6 MONTH OLD KITTEN , DUE TO NOT OVER LOADING HER SYSTEM 2 MONTHS AGO , AS SHE HAD AN ABSIS , I ONLY GAVE HER FELV VACCINATION .... I AM DUE TO GIVE HER ANOTHER ONE . WHERE I LIVE THERE
ARE MANY CATS WITH THE VIRUS & ALSO ALL THE NASTY VIRUS - CALIVIUS.FIV ETC . I HAVE HAD HER SCREEND AND SHE IS CLEAR /NEGATIVE IN ALL . ARE THERE ANY NEW IMPROVED VACCINATIONS .... ALSO MY OLDER CAT 10 YEARS HAS A LOW CT VALUE OF FEL PROVIRAL ( WILL ATTACH
THE QPCR ) . HE HAD HIS YEARLY VACCINATION IN MARCH, AT THE TIME I DIDNT KNOW HE HAD THE VIRUS ,EVEN THOUGH IT IS DORMANT / REGRESSIVE . SHOULD HE CONTINUE TO HAVE VACCINATIONS , ESPECIALLY FELV AS COULD THIS ACTIVATE THE VIRUS? HE IS NOT 100 % AND HAS LOST
WEIGHT BUT I AM STILL WAITNG TO FIND OUT WHY IS WRONG BUT ITS NOT FELV.. WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTS THANK YOU ANNA FROM SPAIN
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Anna. Thank you for the thorough history and test results. To answer you directly, the subunit non-adjuvanted vaccines now available are preferable. They're less likely to cause adverse effects and provide a good amnestic response. No, there's no reason to continue vaccinating for FeLV. It's very difficult to infect a cat with FeLV once they're over a year of age. Please note that a subunit vaccine can't activate latent FeLV...only induce more antibodies against FeLV...which really isn't necessary at his age.

My primary concern is that his leukopenia is due to the FeLV sequestered in his bone marrow. A bone marrow analysis including FeLV PCR on the bone marrow should be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you ***** ,
Marmalade 10 years was given a vaccination this year and shortly afterwards , 2 mnths he started to loose wieght , but the elisa test was negative and the felv Qpcr was 33.53 - attached is the result , maybe this could have had something to do with what the lab said - mild neutrioenia / mod .non specific lymphopnia .... how I can treat this ?
he is happy byt his appetite is becoming less and less.
Re: the vaccinations , I wont vaccinate him anymore then .... the kitten Wonder , wil ask my vet for subunit non-adjuvanted vaccines - excuse me for being so ignorant but what does the difference and what does it mean.... one unit ... indivdual vaccinations?
so should she have a booster for felv plus the other vaccinations ,

You're welcome, Anna. Unfortunately, you won't know how to treat without a bone marrow analysis. If FeLV were found in his bone marrow you might consider the immune booster LTCI from T-Cyte in Murietta, California, USA(###) ###-####or see their website here: http://tcyte.com/). His bone marrow might reveal myeloproliferative disease (cancer crowding out the normal cells that produce white blood cells) or an idiopathic (unknown cause) aplasia (lack of production of white blood cells) and these are treated very differently.

Subunit vaccines don't contain live components of the pathogen. They contain only the antigenic parts of the pathogen. These parts are necessary to elicit a protective immune response. We see less adverse reactions when we limit vaccines to just those parts.

Yes, booster the young one for FeLV plus the other core vaccines, repeat in a year, and then every three years thereafter until 8-9 years of age. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you , will digest everything .. my vet has told me that I have to do a urine sample on him . he has less white blood cells.

A urinalysis should be part of most diagnostic workups.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you . having wonder the kitten vaccinated today .

Sounds good. I'll be unavailable through 09/27 but promise to reply when I return if need be.

Hi Anna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Wonder & Marmalade. How is everything going?