Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

We breed Boxers. Our 2.5 year old female went into heat in

Customer Question

We breed Boxers. Our 2.5 year old female went into heat in January 2015 and had a healthy litter in march of 2015. She just went into heat again on 9/13/15. Now we have heard MANY different opinions about how often to breed and we have always skipped a cycle in the past. But I am hearing more and more that it is safe to breed "back to back" litters. Since her heat cycles are about 8 months apart, what are your thoughts?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What is safe and what is adviseable are different things and that's where the opinions come in. The most convincing argument I've heard is. "Ask a human who has just given birth and then gets pregnant again... how she feels!" Is it safe for her to have a child? How does the woman feel?

The same is with dogs but we don't hear them complain, creating puppies, producing milk and everything involved takes a lot! It is very beneficial to allow her body to recover completley before restarting another pregnancy. When we skip a heat cycle, we significantly decrease the chances of small litters, mamamry infection, difficult birth, C-section, and undersized pups. Because it is so taxing internally on the bitch, we recommend skipping a cycle. If the only measure is can she get pregnant, birth them and not die... then yes it's safe. It's not optimal in any way. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan