Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I found a worm on the floor this morning by my cat and am

Customer Question

I found a long worm on the floor this morning by my cat and am wondering if it came from him. it was brown like an earthworm and had antennas
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, the worm that you are describing does Not fit the description of any of the worms that would be found in a cat. This worm did Not come from your cat.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about vomiting? My cat vomits seems like anytime I give him canned food or turkey. He seems to vomit about twice a week and only weighs about 9 pounds to begin with Should I be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Are you asking if the vomiting is related to the worm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not. I am just asking generally if this is cause for concern
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and what could be causing this?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and blood work as initial screening test.

Dr. Peter