Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

On my cats ears she has what looks like a scab on the right

Customer Question

On my cats ears she has what looks like a scab on the right and left side of the inner ear. It doesn't seem to bother her. But they also look swollen. I have another cat but nothing is one him.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Kiki and her ears. I am happy to help you this evening. With the scab on one ear and the swelling that you are seeing this often is an indication of an ear infection and she may have scratched it to cause this. This is usually not contagious between cats and can be hard to say why she got the infection. But it is best to have her seen by your vet. Your vet will look her over really well and then get a sample from her ears and look under the microscope. This will determine if its a bacterial infection or a yeast infection and then they will determine the correct medication to treat. These medications treat the infection but also help with the swelling. There is really nothing over the counter to use to resolve this and usually it can make things worse. So get her checked out by your vet for an ear infection so she can start treatment and get this resolved.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Hi Amanda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead