Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 2 week old chinchilla kit is not eating. she has been

Customer Question

my 2 week old chinchilla kit is not eating. she has been hovering the same weight for the last 5 days. we tried hand feeding but she only takes a few drops. She is so weak she doesn't even go to the mom to find milk. her sister is doing extremely well and is not almost double her size. What do you recommend? I am so worried ....please help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs at cats and work but I have bred chinchillas and owned them as pets for years. I'm sorry that there was a delay in your answer here - I suspect the other experts might not have felt that they are well versed in chinchilla care. I've been on vacation the past week. I know that you may not need any information now, this late, but I also didn't want to leave you hanging!

Unfortunately, with a critter as young and frail as a chinchilla kit, there's not a whole lot that you can do other than give her time and TLC. Force feeding can help - oxbow critical care if she'd been eating solids a bit, vs milk replacer. Here is a website with general guidelines on nursing care for babies as well as a recipe for milk replacer:

http://www.greenwoodchinchillas.co.uk/rearing-fostering.html

If she's truly that much smaller than her sister, it's likely that she's not thriving, potentially due to a congenital issue (something she was born with). You're doing all that you can, short of finding a vet who is very experienced with chinchillas (they aren't common!!).

Keep her warm and give her access to move on and off of a warmed area of her box by placing a heating pad underneath the bottom of her enclosure.

I'm sorry that we can't be of more immediate and thorough help. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions :)

~Dr. Sara