petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat's eye has been bothering m m last few months. The

Customer Question

My cat's eye has been bothering him him for the last few months. The inner eye lid is often mostly covering his eye. His face is slightly swollen. I've taken him to the vet but they can't seem to find out what's wrong. He rubs it and it gets worse. He also has been throwing up a few times a week.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Can you tell me what sort of testing was performed on the eye? Did they measure his ocular pressure? Stain the corneas? Measure his tear production?

Was any blood work performed?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I appreciate your help.
I know they tested his white blood cells and they came back normal. All the tests they have done came back normal. They have checked to see if he has blood in his urine and sometimes he does but not enough for them to think it's abnormal. He has had problems over the last few years with the crystals in hisburine but I have changed his food and he seems good.
They did do drops but said it was inconclusive.
When he is bothering it a lot by rubing it it waters a lot.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

There are specific tests that need to be run on the eye itself. A Schirmer tear tests measures the amount of tears he produces and evaluates if they are adequate. Dry eyes can lead to irritation. Another test is called a fluorescein stain test and looks for damage to the cornea that can occur for various reasons and lead to irritation and the third eyelid protrusion. Many cats can have a chronic infection with herpes virus that can lead to chronic squinting or third eyelid protrusion. Also the pressure in his eye should be measured as if it is elevated as we see in glaucoma, it can lead to discomfort and other symptoms as you are seeing. Finally, some cats have a problem with the nerves that control the eyelids and they lose conscious control of their eyelid.

If your vet is not able to identify the reason for the changes you are seeing, perhaps it would be best to have him evaluated by a veterinary ophthalmologist.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.