petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat is about 14 yrs old. Today s tongue is hanging out

Customer Question

My cat is about 14 yrs old. Today his tongue is hanging out and drooling. He stays inside he eats with ease. And his urine is good. All of a sudden he acts like he couldn't breathe mouth open now he wants to sleep and aging his tongue out and drooling
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Any unusual symptoms at Sambo's age need to be followed up with a thorough physical exam by his vet which should include diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. His tongue position and drooling suggests an oral lesion - a cancer or severe dental disease, e.g. It can also indicate gastrointestinal distress - in particular, acid reflux and nausea, and there are too many possible etiologies of gastrointestinal distress to list in this venue. His continuing to eat is a good prognostic sign but his behavior is worrisome. Open-mouth breathing indicates a very stressed cat but not the etiology of that stress.

I understand that you didn't come to this site to be told to bring Sambo to his vet but that's the best advice I can give you at this time. I, too, would need to thoroughly examine him and perform diagnostics to be able to be more specific for you. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I got was need to see the vet.not much information
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

I have to agree with the previous expert in that with the symptoms that you describe, the next course of action needs to be a thorough physical exam by a veterinarian, including evaluation of his oral cavity. Without that step, one cannot even begin to discuss more specific possible causes other than the general ones already listed. I would not expect you to be able to perform an exam and in a way that his veterinarian has been trained to, so there is not really much more that can be offered in the form of treatment until that is done. I am sorry that there is not a different answer or anything else I can suggest for you to try, but without identifying the cause of his symptoms, it is hard to advise on what may help.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer was ok.but not worth 22.00
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you feel that way, but for anyone to speculate further without the benefit of an exam would be a disservice to Sambo and potentially dangerous. Good luck with him.