Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat accidently stepped on my foot, and s toe nail

Customer Question

My cat accidently stepped on my foot, and his toe nail punctured my foot.Help!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you today.

Since this was your cat, this situation is low risk here (as opposed to vets like myself that can be injured by cats of unknown histories). Anyway, you just want to flush that puncture wound out thoroughly --consider using hydrogen peroxide or chlorohexidine as they are better antibacterial agents then soap. Afterewards, your treatment was perfect. You need only repeat this 2-3 times daily to aid the area healing. Of course, any redness, swelling, or discharge and we'd want a check with your doctor in case antibiotics need to be dispensed.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your expert advice!! I am concerned with preventing infection, and I will follow your instructions as given😊
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

If you do keep it nice and clean and use the antibiotic ointment to counter any bacteria present, then you should be able to avoid any issue with this. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.