Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 7 month old male cat suddenly started making mouth noices

Customer Question

My 7 month old male cat suddenly started making mouth noices and when I looked up he was slobbering something awful. I washed his face with a we wash cloth, then he appeared OK. About 15 minutes later, it happened again.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Did it sound like crunching noises? Or gagging?

Any access to plants, chemicals, bugs, or anything other then food that he may have licked?

Any blisters, sores or redness in his mouth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No crunching noises or gagging More like trying to control all the slobber.
No blisters or sores or redness in his mouth.
Later, I found what looked like a squashed dirt dobber in my living room. Perhaps he got into that. It hasn't happened again, and he seems to be doing fine. These things always happen late at night or on a weekend, so I tend to be more concerned, because my Vet isn't available.
Thank you.
Lynda
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Lynda,

They certainly do tend to occur at odd times. If he had access to that insect and possibly had been trying to eat it, then this could explain what you saw. The venom in their sting notoriously is painful and burns. And if he were stung in the mouth, it would have triggered the drooling you saw. In any case, I am glad to hear that he is well and not had any relapses. If you do see this happen in the future, do rinse his mouth with cool water +/- offer milk to help reduce the discomfort/burning from the venom. But otherwise, it doesn't tend to cause lasting harm.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.