Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Cat's left shoulder seems to slip out of place.......then it

Customer Question

cat's left shoulder seems to slip out of place.......then it seems to be all right and she walks normally. Then it goes out again....It started this am. She is on the roof and won't or can't come down. What should do? Jo
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

If she truly has a dislocated shoulder, then this is an emergency and requires that she be evaluated today.She needs to be assessed for trauma by a veterinarian. This is a very tough injury to acquire and usually requires a blunt force such as hit by car or kick by deer. There is sometimes a fracture associated with the joint. These usually require surgery to correct and is not a simple replacement because as you see it pops in and out of the joint. But still very important she been seen not only to get on good pain relief from the vet, but also to look for any evidence of other injuries.

I wish I had a miracle way to get her off the roof, but you may need to go up and get her, especially if she had a trauma. It may hurt too much for her to come down or she is shocky from whatever happened.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.