Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our 5mon. old female mastiff is leaking urine. She has been

Customer Question

Our 5mon. old female mastiff is leaking urine. She has been toilet trained since 4 mon. But when she is lying for any length of time she leaks. The leaks are getting larger. In the morning she is waking up at 5-6am and her pads are wet, her back end is wet, and she needs a bath every morning. She has had 2 bladder infections because of the leaking, because when she was young and toilet training we did not see it. Her lambs wool bed padding hid the small leaks, but we often detected urine smell and found we were washing her bedding weekly. The first infection was discovered during one of her vet visits. We treated her, but shortly after she had another episode of frequency and she was treated with another antibiotic, thinking the first one did not do the job. When she was 4 mon. we noticed frequency again, and now we saw the leaking as well. We thought the infection was causing the leaking. The culture revealed 2 organisms, i don't know what they were. Another antibiotic was given for 2 weeks. We monitored the leaking and then realized that despite treatment the leaking was unchanged. Now that the infection is clear and the frequency has resolved, we are giving her cranberry pills, using incontinence pads and frequent washing of her back end to prevent another infection. The vet says we should have her spayed right away to eliminate this problem. Our breeder had us sign a contract that states that we can't spay her until Dec.1 when she will be 8 mon. The breeder feels that if we wait her anatomy will change from growing taller/thinner in the pelvis and then grow wider and it could resolve. The leaks are getting larger, and we don't feel she should continue to suffer from this, and by that time I don't know if we can deal with this leaking especially when the weather turns colder. We will break our contract and fix her at 6 mon. if this is going to correct the problem, but I don't want to fix her too early and cause other problems. I feel caught between two opinions. Why will spaying fix this, our vet said it is unknown why, but it will. But what if it continues after the surgery, what happens next. Should we see a vet urologist? I can't seem to be able to find this kind of specialist on-line, and I would like to get a second opinion before I go forward with the surgery.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ravyn. Spaying her isn't the answer. In fact, it could exacerbate her urinary incontinence by weakening her urethral musculature. My first thought after reading your post was that Ravyn has an ectopic ureter - the "tube(s)" from her kidney(s) aren't entering her bladder in the correct location. This would be an easier diagnosis if you had mentioned that Ravyn was leaking when awake as well although that isn't always present. Have you noticed that?

Her incontinence at such an early age indicates a congenital (present at birth) defect in her urinary tract. Ectopic ureter is most common but a multiple of malformations are possible. My next diagnostic of choice would be an ultrasound of Ravyn's urinary tract. I suspect that will give you the answer. Surgical intervention, then, would be necessary to correct an anatomical defect which has predisposed to her incontinence and secondary bacterial infections.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Jayne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ravyn. How is everything going?