Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My cats 2yrs. Oldhas been sneezing 2 days wheezing 1 day

Customer Question

My cats 2yrs. Oldhas been sneezing 2 days wheezing 1 day gave him 4 mg of cyproheptad and kidney gold for induce heavy water drinkage he did better just decided to bring him in vet heard wheezing and purring and a slight roar I heard it to don't know if he was growling .Vet said no we need an X-ray it showed fluid outside lungs he removed 4ounces and send lab results for clear light green tinted fluid with lrge N small cells as he had showed it to me.We are waiting for results he doesn't feel good about it he suggested cancer or heart disease.Norman never really showed issues other than sneezing.what do I do now,plan is see another very reasonable high volume vet for options.Norman saw him 2.5 weeks before for constipation, heavily frequentlng the cat box laxatone ,14 day antibiotic,and an anal expression And Norman was good three days later.Other than this fluids on the chest issue kitty was doing very well other than sneezing
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** I am sorry to hear about your kitty and that he is sick. I am very concerned about the fluid in the chest, outside the lungs. This unfortunately is most commonly caused by cancer in the chest but can also be a bacterial infection. Your regular veterinarian did the right thing by sending the fluid to the lab for analysis.

Cats are very good at hiding their illness, so I am not surprised that you did not notice any symptoms beside sneezing. In the wild, predators would eat them if they appeared sick, so it is in their best interest to hide illness. I would recommend waiting for the results from your regular veterinarian before doing anything more. Sometimes a second opinion can be helpful, so that is a reasonable course to pursue as well.

Best of luck to you and Norman.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001