Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat is allergic to cat littler, the clay or sand type

Customer Question

My cat is allergic to cat littler, the clay or sand type with fragrance. She won't use an of the natural types, she goes on the floor or rug. I had to use some of the sand type because I was tired of cleaning up her mess all over the house. When she uses the sand or clay her tummy gets red and raw and she swells up like if she has mastitis. I rescued her and any bet this is why she ended up at the sanctuary. I've spent a lot of money at the vet with her. He gives her a steroid and antibiotics, it clears her up but right now I can't afford a huge vet bill so I was thinking of giving her some Benedryl?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I've seen cats who've been allergic to an awful lot of things but I don't think I've seen one allergic to litter before. Obviously, not that it can't happen, it's just not very commonly seen.

Benadryl is typically safe for cats to take although sedation may be seen as a side effect. The average 10 pound cat's dose would be 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet twice a day. I don't usually advise the liquid versions since they tend to be flavored and cats don't like them. While it may not be quite strong enough to help with her issues, I will often suggest its use to owners whose cats do have skin problems since it can be of benefit for some of them.

If Tink is difficult to medicate or if you can't disguise the pill in wet food, then you could crush it up, mix it with a small amount of tuna or clam juice (or just plain water) and use an eye dropper, syringe or small turkey baster to dribble the mixture into her mouth.

I hope this helps and that you see improvement in her skin. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been doctoring her myself, keeping the three abscesses clean. She was constipated so I gave her a little pumpkin and that worked. I have been adding a little water to her wet food also. I went to Pet Co and got some anti oxidant's/vitamins, I give them to her twice a day, she really likes them. I have just been doing old school stuff and it seems to be working. She isn't acting sick, she's acting like herself so, fingers crossed.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for taking the time to send me an update about Tink.

I frequently find that the tried and true treatments which worked years ago still work today:) I'm glad that seems to be the case with Tink:)

Just one word of caution, though; we used peroxide to clean wounds/skin lesions for years but studies have shown that it can actually retard healing. I don't know if you're using it or not but dilute Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) would be a better choice. Just thought I'd mention it.

I hope she continues to respond as well as she done so already. Deb