Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My cat ate a cooked sea robin, i think some scales are stuck

Customer Question

my cat ate a cooked sea robin, i think some scales are stuck in her tongue or throat what can i do to help her
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

When did this happen? What is your cat doing that makes you think there are scales stuck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was hyper salivating for a minute at first then proceeded to act like she was trying to get something off her tounge
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

And she ate it with the scales, I assume? When did this happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday she ate the fish was cooked the scales were cut off but some might have been still on there
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Okay. How is she doing now? Scales can be removed relatively easily with tweezers, but they usually need to be sedated to do it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not got answer to my ? Yet is going to take long more
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to find out how the cat is doing now before giving you an answer. Here is your answer: if the cat will allow you to look at the tongue, and you can see scales, you can remove them with a tweezer. If your cat continues to have problems, and will not allow you to look at the tongue, you will need to see a vet to have the cat sedated to remove the scales.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we don't do anything about the problem what could happen to her, is there pain involved she is still trying to get somthing off her tongue will it work it self out
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible it could work itself out. If it does not, though, it could form an abscess and cause problems. If she is still having problems by Monday I would see a vet.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.