Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My super sweet loving cat i have had last 2 years has been

Customer Question

my super sweet loving cat i have had for the last 2 years has been mean tonight! This morning before i went too work she was fine. And when i got home she was fighting the other cat hissing at the dogs and she is hissing at me as well she is a 2 year old indoor kitty i just don't understand i can calm her for moments but as soon as i walk away and come back i have to calm her again before i can touch her. she is also spayed
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

When you calmed her, did you notice if she was sore anywhere?

Is she eating, drinking, urinating, and passing stools normally?

Anything change in the environment? Any new cats outside (that she can see, that may be spraying outside the house), new noises,/people/things inside or outside the house, changes in schedules, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is eating and drinking, using the litter pan as normal this is just very unusual for her she is never mean. I can't even get her close to the other cat who she is normally buddies with or the dogs who never bother with her. And its like the other cat knows something is wrong because she has been hiding.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now to see her sudden change in character does raise a few concerns. First, if there had been something stressful in her environment, then we'd be concerned about displacement behavior. This is when they lash out at the closest person/animal because they cannot address or cope with the triggering stressor. That said, if the other cats are avoiding her and she is hiding, then I'd be concerned that we are instead seeing a defensive behavior with Ellie. Since cats are a prey species, they often will try to hide illness/injury from everyone (since showing such can make one a target for predation). If they cannot, many will hide away and/or take a proactive defensive stance towards others (as if to say "stay away from me, I could still fight you even though I feel unwell"). The aim of such posturing is to actually try to prevent the other animal/person from interacting or potentially causing the reactive animal pain by doing so. Therefore, this is what I'd be most concerned about with the way Ellie is behaving.

With this in mind, we could try de-stressing treatments (ie Feliway, Kalmaid, etc) but I do think Ellie is telling us that something is bothering and/or causing her discomfort. Therefore, I would monitor her just now, give her space, but plan to have a check-up with her vet to make sure there is nothing causing her issue that we need to address to get her back to feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the informationyou need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can ge get her calmed down an let me hold her then she seems to be fine but its almost as if she is saying please don't touch me and swats at me an hisses. Ellie has always been territorial with our other pets but never violent, it's just not like her to be this way. I hope this just all passes. Ellie has been my side by side partner since day one, and now i am moving an she will have to remain with my mom. There is not a whole lot of comotion involved in this move i don't know if she can sense something is up or not?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Cats are so sensitive and so aware of what goes on, even when they don't speak the language. So, I do suspect she knows there is something unsettling brewing in the house. But again it just seems a bit more of a reaction (especially with you) for her then I'd expect if it were displacement behavior alone. So, do monitor, do consider using a de-stressing treatment like Feliway, but also keep an eye that she isn't unwell since her "don't touch me" behavior just raises that as a real concern.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ellie. How is everything going?
Dr. B.