Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a cat that has the auto immune disorder pillow paw.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a cat that has the auto immune disorder pillow paw. This has been under control for the last 6 months though. A couple weeks ago I noticed one toe has alot of black crusty stuff all the way to the base of the nail. He was favoring it and so I started the doxycycline and prednisone again it took down the inflammation but it's still crusty!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like a mild yeast infection. I recommend taking a toothbrush and warm, soapy water, and scrubbing the black stuff off the nail and nail base. Then, I would buy some shampoo from a pet store that has antifungal and antibacterial properties, and wash that toe in the shampoo and warm water once a day for the next two weeks.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I added a picture, let me know if you can see it?
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

That looks like a lot more crusting than what I would consider normal. I would try picking and rubbing the crust off, and then try some Epson salt soaks once a day, and if there is no improvement in a week, see your veterinarian.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do the Epsom salt and the stuff you mentioned above as well?
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I would do the Epsom salt instead of the stuff I mentioned above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Feel free to keep me posted!