Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I'm concerned about my cat. He is one of four cats but is

Customer Question

Hi, I'm concerned about my cat. He is one of four cats but is the only one with these symptoms. He scratches a lot and grooms obsessively. He has a bald spot now between his shoulder blades and a scratch in the middle of the spot. He also has chronic conjunctivitis in one eye that flairs up periodically but it has stayed for a while this time. Since he is the only cat with the symptoms I wonder if he is bothered by changes in his environment. I got a bunny that lives in my bedroom. I got the bunny over the summer. Maybe these symptoms are stress related because of the change in his house.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I feel that these two isues are likley unrelated. The conjunctivitis could be herpes conjunctivitis which can be treated supportively with lysine chews, DMG liquid for immune support and antibiotic ointment for his eye. As far as his skin goes usually excessive grooming in cats is actually food allergy related. So a trial with a hydrolysed protein food like science diet ZD food would help with ruling this out. Your kitty should also be flea combed and have a skin scrape + or minus a fungal culture. If all that was negative I would proceed with the food trial.

Once he is over his conjunctivitis I would have your vet administer the feline CVR vaccine. Do this twice at 3-4 week intervals. He may feel worse to start but will in the long run feel much better as this will build his resistance against future outbreaks.

I hope this helps you. Please let me know if you have questions as I check my computer each night. SIncerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is DRB and I am checking back in with you to see if you need anything further. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I am checking back in with you to see if you need further help.Most sIncerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI, am checking back to see if you need further assistance. Most Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B