Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My Veterinarian says my cat was born with s ear problem.

Customer Question

Hello My Veterinarian says my cat was born with his ear problem. It's not ear mites but does look like it. I keep cleaning the ears out and the dark goop keeps coming back. It's not infected. The cat keeps shaking his head even after I clean the stuff out everyday. I think I must not be getting it all out. The Doctor said not to go deep. So basically I am just keeping it under control. It must be real deep inside his poor little ear because he doesn't have perfect hearing. I wish I can be told what kind of safe cream or liquid I can use daily or once a year that could keep his ear as healthy as possible. Is there something else I need to using?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would love to help you with this. First your vet has not identified the underlying cause.....that is why things keep coming back. I deal with these cases everyday. Your cat has food allergy, period end of story. And until you get him on a hypoallergenic diet and treat the ears his problem will never go away. There are not any real over the counter diets that are truly hypoallergenic but I can recommend one that might help him at least start getting better. While you are doing the diet for 12 weeks (and then forever if it works) you cannot feed or give your pet anything outside of this food or the test will fail. Animals specifically cats that develop food allergy (which can be genetic) have otitis or bad ears as the primary symptom.You can try natural ba***** ***** pea and salmon formula and this may work. If not, see your vet. You will also need to treat the ears at the same time. I check my computer each night so please let me know if you have any questions. Sincerely, ***** *****: I like Surolan for cat ears but you will need to use it for a long time daily like up to a month or more while doing the diet.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is DRB and I am checking back in with you. Please let me know if you need anything else. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB. Please let me know if you need anything else. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I am checking back in with you to see if you need further help.Most Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for answering my questions. I will talk to my veterinarian about food allergies, Surolan and the natural ba***** ***** pea and salmon formula. I hope the other cats like the food I don't want to have to feed them separately.Thanks again
Jane
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome Jane. Please let me know if you have any pother questions. If you have gotten all your concerns and questions answered, please accept my answer. Most Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

sorry, meant to say if you have any other questions.....do please let me know...DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I am checking back with you Jane to see if you have any other questions for me. If not please accept my answer. THank you very much, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B