Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat Sebastion was neutered in 2002, he was already about

Customer Question

My cat Sebastion was neutered in 2002, he was already about 1 and a half years old. His appetite has been good but on and off. He is extremely old. I am worried about him but afraid the stress of putting him a carrier and taking him to the vet would be so stressful for him that it might just kill him. I love him very much and don't want him to die but he is so frail that it hurts him if I pick him up. I don't have pet insurance but it is not money that concerns me. I feel that he will improve when the weather lets up as he seems to be having difficulty breathing. He drinks too much water and then throws up. He vacilitates between being Ok and not being OK. What should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry Sebastian is not feeling well.

Excessive thirst can be caused by diabetes or renal issues. If he is having trouble breathing he must be seen by a vet. If you are afraid to take him out call a mobile vet to come to the house. Let me know if you want me to locate one for you.

In the meantime take him in the bathroom after you run a hot shower to make a steam room. Keep him inhaling steam for ten minutes. It should break up any congestion.

Pick up any dry food. Feed him pate canned or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

For hydration drain the water from a can of tuna and see if he will lap it up. If he does, offer the tuna.

Warm food to bring out the aroma.

For vomiting add one quarter of a ten mg pepcid (famotidine) to a tablespoon of baby food.

He may have arthritis. If so he should take a glucosime supplement.

Canned food is also excellent for arthritis as is a glucosimine supplement:

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products-by-health-type/by-type/joint-bone-animal-health-products/what-is-dasuquin

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_arthritis___joint_disease_cent.html

Feed him small amounts every two hours as that is the best way for his body to metabolize calories.

Please let me know how Sebastian is doing. Reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Love,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
purrfectkitty