Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

You state that culinary fennel is toxic to cats, but I

Customer Question

You state that culinary fennel is toxic to cats, but I cannot find it on the ASPCA list- Foeniculum vulgare. Are you sure?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you for your question. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I answer questions for this website. Where did you see that fennel is toxic?

I have not heard that fennel is toxic, so I checked on VIN (veterinary information network) with a veterinarian who works with ASPCA poison control, and she says it is not considered a toxic plant; it does have some medicinal properties (as a diuretic, or "water pill"). Small amounts should not pose a problem, but large amounts may lead to increased drinking and urinating.

Let me know if this helps and what else I can answer or research for you. Rebecca