Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a cat with very strong urine. Smell like amonia. We

Customer Question

I have a cat with very strong urine. Smell like amonia. We have 4 cats so not sure which one it is
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I treat them all so I get the correct one
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Ammonia is formed when urea-splitting bacteria in the urinary tract split a molecule of urea into two molecules of ammonia. Such a urinary tract infection is far more common in a female rather than male cat. A broad spectrum antibiotic prescribed by the vet to be given for a week usually suffices. It's not preferable to dose cats with antibiotics they don't need but I do understand your logistical dilemma. Do you have an antibiotic you're thinking of giving all of the cats?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have an antibiotic. I want to get one. Is there an easy way to tell which one would have it. Fever or any other signs. Can you prescribe me an antibiotic? We have been trying to watch them but of course no luck.

You'd have to watch to see which cat is stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine. As unwieldy as it sounds you'll probably need to separate the cats to their own rooms and boxes and look at the number of urinations and check for blood in the urine. I regret that I'm not allowed to prescribe through this venue as per my state veterinary board of examiners. Please continue our conversation if you wish.