Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

Our cat is pulling big clumps of hair out, where we will

Customer Question

Our cat is pulling big clumps of hair out, where we will fine about 8 or 9 clumps of hair on the floor in the morning and only a few during the day. It this the result of a problem that she may have
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a couple possibilities for this condition. The most common in older spayed females is that the lack of estrogen long term will cause skin conditions with them pulling out their own fur. This is treated either with hormones that your vet can prescribe or cortisone that your vet can give to your sweet Cally to stop this behavior.

It also may be that Cally is suffering from a metabolic dysfunction or dementia causing her this behavior. It is bets to have your vet examine Cally and run blood work and a Urinalysis to determine the cause so teh correct treatment can be given.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta