Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is roughly 7 to 8 years old purfect health but he

Customer Question

My cat is roughly 7 to 8 years old purfect health but he woke up yesterday feeling sick and just got sicker as the night came and he came to bed roughly around 10:30 to 11:00. He normally stays out all night till dawn.
The symptoms are
Breathing heavy
Lose of appetight
Won't touch food or drink
Has just past a poop
Is very dissy
Walks funny with his back legs as if he is drunk
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Tazzi. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Could he have been hurt, or could he have eaten something he shouldn't? Walking as if he is drunk can indicate an injury to the spinal cord, or getting into something toxic.

If you look at his gums, do they look bright pink, or do they look pale?

Heavy breathing always worries me. If he has to open his mouth to breathe, that can be serious.

If his gums look pale, or if he is opening his mouth to breathe, he probably needs immediate medical attention. Let me know what else I can answer or help with, and how he is doing. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no injury.
He doesn't open his mouth to breath.
He does catch rats and mice.
There is a chane of posioning in the rats and mice. But he usually mows not to eat them. He is good that way.
So far no change with gums.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I assumed since he goes outside, that he might meet up with things like dogs and cars that could injure him. Being hit by a car could make him walk the way you describe, and breathe heavy. Cats can be injured internally, with no mark on the outside.

Good that his gums are pink in color.

The way I would go about finding out what is wrong with him would be to start with a good physical exam: Take his temp (normal rectal temperature is between 101 and 102), feel his pulses, palpate his internal organs and lymph nodes, listen to his heart and lungs with a stethoscope, try to determine if he is walking the way he is because of an orthopedic (bones, joints, muscles) problem or a neurologic (nerves, spinal cord) problem. Once I figure out what is wrong (fever, blood clot in the back legs, nerve problem) I know the best way to treat him.

If he won't eat or drink, he will become dehydrated. If this were my own cat, I would be trying to treat him at home; I would have him at my clinic for a good exam, and the exam would tell me what to do next (medication, Xrays , blood tests, fluids, etc.).

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Tazzi doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?