Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Is a healthy cat. Today. He has vomited bile. Laying around

Customer Question

George is a healthy cat. Today for 48hrs. He has vomited bile. Laying around lifeless. Limbs are cold.nose is cold. Has not moved. Fur is sweaty on the side he lays on . Pick him up he is lifeless. Not eating or drinking. Last bm yesterday dark and hard. Haven't seen him per.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Georgio. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. These symptoms in Georgio are very concerning and there are a number of possible causes for these including anything from an internal organ issue, a toxicity, a blocked bladder (have you seen him urinate in the last 12 hours or so?), or even a severe gastroenteritis. The fact that Georgio has been laying around lifeless and has cold limbs means that this really is an emergency and that you really do need to try and get your boy along to your local ER vet straight away if you can. If you haven't seen him pee, then this could definitely a blocked urethra (blocked bladder). This would cause these symptoms, and can quickly lead to death if the problem isn't attended to by a vet as soon as possible.

If you can't get him seen straight away, then please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above - please do all you can to get Georgio seen immediately. These symptoms definitely warrant immediate veterinary assessment and intervention. There isn't a lot else you can do from home right now, but if you can't get him seen straight away, then please try and encourage him to drink, as he will likely be quite dehydrated by now as well. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would check up quickly to see how you got on with Georgio. Hopefully you were able to follow up with your local vet straight away.

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E