Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have 4 cats. they are all indoors. 2 of them have been

Customer Question

I have 4 cats. they are all indoors. 2 of them have been itching under their neck and on their backs. One has some pimples. I think its an allergy, but I am not sure to what. It may be due to the pollen, etc..They are each between 7 and 8 pounds. My other 2 are fine. One time I gave the claritan (non-D) but I dont remember the dosage?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. I'm sorry the expert you requested appears to be unavailable. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

First, I must confirm you are using effective monthly flea control on these cats every month. Any time we have irritation on the neck, spine to base of tail, this is a flea allergy/infestation until we prove it is not. Right now effective control would mean something like Advantage (Advantage Multi) or Revolution. We are finding Frontline Plus and Frontline Topspot and the fipronil-containing knock-offs you can purchase over-the-counter ate not working well in cats. So, if you are using a fipronil product, then I recommend either purchase Advantage or get some Revolution from your vet. Then, treat ALL the pets in the household. Fleas is by and far the most common reason for multiple cats to be itchy. It is very very unlikely that multiple cats have allergies at once. Usually we only see one cat in a household affected by allergies. But it's not impossible.

For the itching, you can safely give the cats an antihistamine such s chlorpheniramine (Chlor-tabs) which comes as a 4mg tab and you give 1/4 to 1/2 tab every 12 hours. It may cause some level of drowsiness.

If you feel one-hundred percent this is not fleas (remember you may never see a flea because cats are so good at grooming them off) and you have them on effective control monthly, then you really should have your vet take a look because then I worry about a mite infestation. Again, we are looking for a highly itchy problem that might affect multiple cats (the list is very short: fleas or mites or some sort of contact irritant).

Chin acne (pimples) can be due to many possible underlying causes. If mild you can use an over-the-counter acne pad wipe as made for people once daily to cleanse the area. This often helps. If there are obvious sores, then this requires antibiotic therapy to resolve.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey