Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Cat hair coming out in patches. Had to vet took patch test.

Customer Question

Cat hair coming out in patches. Had to vet took patch test. Treated for fleas but didn't find any. Can't afford to take back. He licks a lot and bites at hiself. What can I do tks for your time please help my poor kitty. But he's eleven
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with Casey's skin. I know it can be frustrating when they aren't feeling well.

There are a couple of things I consider when I have cats who are missing hair or licking areas of their fur out. Number one is itchiness, which is usually allergy related. If the problem is allergy related, then it would likely improve with steroid treatment but relapse and become worse again when the steroids wear off. If this is the case with your kitty, I would discuss other allergy treatments for him. Steroids work well, but can have some nasty side effects in cats, especially if they are given frequently. I have had great success in maintaining allergic cats with a medication called Atopica for cats. It is a daily to every other day maintenance medication to control allergy symptoms. Make sure that he is absolutely FLEA FREE, as fleas are a very common allergy trigger - even ONE bite can make him absolutely miserable. I'd be happy to talk more about fleas if you'd like - just let me know. In rare cases itching can be a symptom of a mite infection, but this is pretty unlikely.

The other thing I consider for cats who are losing their fur from over grooming is anxiety or stress. Cats calm themselves by grooming, so if they are anxious, some cats can over groom and pull out their hair like this. In these cases, the hair usually doesn't grow back with steroid treatment because the problem isn't an allergy. These cats can respond well to treatment with anti-anxiety medications. It's often difficult to determine exactly what is causing the anxiety - just like some people who have anxiety or panic attacks can't always tell you exactly what it is that they are upset about.

If the hair loss is mostly over the belly, another thing to consider would be bladder disease. If a cat is over grooming their belly and pulling out the hair there, I also always check for bladder problems. If their bladder is painful because of an undiagnosed bladder infection or bladder stones, then this could be the cause of the over grooming.

Here is also a link with some more information on over grooming and hair loss in kitties:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2565

I would have him looked at by your vet as soon as you can so that you can discuss the next step. While it's unlikely to be an emergency, if he is really itchy, he will appreciate relief ASAP. This should give you some ideas to discuss with your vet for your kitty's care going forward. Please let me know if I can answer any other specific questions for you!

~Dr. Sara