Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My kitten has ringworm I also have a 10 yr cat, They been

Customer Question

My young kitten has ringworm I also have a 10 yr cat , They been together for 2 weeks before I was told the kitten had ringworm! The kitten a male just got fixed, I well be bringing him home with meds for the ring worm! My problem I don't have a place to separate them! The older cat hasn't shown any sign of the ringworm I washed all throw rugs vacume the whole house. Any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about your kitten having ringworm. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Does he have it all over, or just a couple of spots? How are you treating the kitten, with dips, medication or ointments?

Many adult cats have some immunity to ringworm; we see it more in kittens than in adult cats. Still, if your cat is in close association with the kitten he could get it. If I were in this situation, I might move the kitten into my bathroom while he is being treated, to keep him from infecting the adult cat, as well as infecting me or any other people in the house. If that is not possible, I would treat the kitten aggressively with dips and ointment and possibly even with oral medication to get rid of the ringworm as fast as possible, and keep monitoring the adult cat for any lesions or hair loss. At the first sign of a lesion on the adult cat, I would start applying anti fungal ointment.

Let me know what else I can answer.