Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My cat has the under lid on s eye the won't open therefore

Customer Question

my cat has the under lid on his eye the won't open therefore has made it impossible for him to see. Will this go away or is the lid stuck to the eyeball where he will need to see a doctor dealing with eye's.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

If you're seeing the "third eyelid" coming up over the eye (this is a pink or fleshy-colored lower eyelid, there is no fur on it), then this can be a sign that there's a painful problem within the eye. This can range from an injury to the cornea (the clear layer of the front of the eye), or uveitis (inflammation inside the eye), or a nerve problem causing the eyeball to be retracted into the socket.

The third eyelid can become "stuck" to the cornea, but it's not common. This is seen in cases of severe damage to the cornea, often associated with upper respiratory infections such as Herpes virus.

Oral clavamox is probably not going to solve this problem, I would suspect that eye drops or ointments will be needed, to reduce inflammation, treat infection if present, and provide lubrication. It may be a good idea to see a veterinary eye specialist.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Drew