Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Can you tell me why my cat keeps shoving her nose up my nose

Customer Question

Can you tell me why my cat keeps shoving her nose up my nose and meowing
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

It sounds as if Mischief is well named:)

It's not always easy to interpret a cat's behavior since they very much like to keep us guessing (just to keep us on our toes, I suspect) but it sounds as if her behavior may be attention seeking or perhaps an expression of affection given her age.

One of my current cats does something similar although she doesn't vocalize. My interpretation when she does this is that she's trying to establish a connection with me and express her profound affection for me. I liken it to the way Eskimos "kiss" by touching their noses to each other.

But there are also other possible explanations depending on when she's engaging in this behave. For example, if she does it when you're in bed at night, she may either want to be fed or she wants to play or she wants you to pet her.

If you provide a more detailed description of when she behaves this way, I may be able to provide additional explanations.

While this can certainly be annoying if it happens in the middle of the night, I mostly find it charming when my cat does it to me.

I hope this helps. Deb