Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I'm just doing some research as my cat is not well at the

Customer Question

Hi Dr B
I'm just doing some research as my cat is not well at the moment.
It started off as some irritation in front of the ears, which he kept scratching so it got worse, with scabs and oozing. He also started getting something similar around his mouth ie on his lips.
After a day or so, his left ear became reddened and around his left eye became a bit swollen and pink.
At this point I took him to the vet. They really had no idea what was wrong with him. They said it looks like FIV. They have put him on antibiotics and a steroids and I have to go back in a week. After a few days on the meds, his ear seems to be improving, but his eye although the swelling has gone down, his tear duct has gone black and they eye I emitting a black discharge, I guess like dried blood?
I will be taking him back to the vets tomorrow, but it would be nice to maybe know what's going on!
I hope he doesn't have FIV. I know its not 100% effective, but he is vaccinated against it, and he is only
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome,

Was he tested for FIV when they saw him for this initially?

Was it just swelling of the skin around the eye as opposed to the eyeball?

Can you take a photo of these lesions and the discharge? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.