Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

How many drops of fresh lemon juice should I give to my girl

Customer Question

How many drops of fresh lemon juice should I give to my girl kitty (12 pounds) to help her with some minor kidney issues (kidney weakness)? Thank you for letting me know!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, I must note that there are no studies that have demonstrated lemon juice being effective for kidney disease in cats. Instead, its only positive documented/researched use for lemon juice relative to the kidneys is as a pH balancer to prevent kidney stones (a completely different condition then what Tasha has). That said, if you did want to try this, the dose for cats is 2 drops of lemon juice daily. Of course, this has to be added to food only, since adding it to water would increase the risk of her refusing to drink. Further to this, I would note that you do want to ensure she has a low sodium/protein/phosphorus diet. Furthermore, if she has an elevated phosphorus, then she would benefit from a phosphate binder +/- Azodyl (example). Finally, if we have any progression of her disease, then further kidney supportive care (ie Semintra, Fortekor) would be indicated.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )