Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat has had a chronic runny nose and L eye drainage last

Customer Question

My cat has had a chronic runny nose and L eye drainage for the last 3-4 months. I have assumed this is allergies, however occasionally he has slight difficulty breathing. Any suggestions.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening :) I'm Dr. Sara - I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. Thanks for sending in your question, and I'm sorry that your Boy isn't feeling so well!

Runny noses and eyes most commonly signal a chronic viral infection with the feline herpes virus. Certainly there can be many other causes, but herpesvirus would be the one that I see most often. Cats are infected with herpesvirus when they are young and it stays in latency within their nerves, coming out of latency occasionally to cause mild upper respiratory symptoms like sneezing, and watery nasal and eye discharge. As our kitties age, their immune function can begin to decline and we see more frequent or more severe breaks with the herpesviral symptoms. L-lysine is an amino acid that can be used to lessen the severity of signs caused by herpesviral infections. It is formulated in multiple different cat friendly ways - treats, powders, and gels most frequently, and can be purchased from your vet, at the pet store, or online.

At his age, though, it's a good idea to have him looked over by your vet to make sure my interpretation of your description is appropriate. It's certainly possible that he may have a secondary bacterial infection now that would require antibiotics, or that he has developed something else off the wall that wouldn't be obvious without being able to perform a physical exam on him. It may be more than just age causing him to be more susceptible to upper respiratory signs - sometimes if they are ill from other chronic diseases like diabetes, kidney disease, thyroid disease, or cancer, this can also manifest as a general decline in condition and vague symptoms like you're seeing.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you:)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Beverly,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara