Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM -13 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
58825837

My friends cat had a sock and hair tie on her paw because

Customer Question

My friends cat had a sock and hair tie on her paw because she had splintered her nail while at the groomer. While my friend was at work the person responsible for her did not frequently take the sock off to keep from the circulation from being cut off. Her paw is swollen double the size. She doesn't seem to be in pain. We started massaging it to get the circulation flowing again. We are just concerned if she needs to be taken to the vet.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Do Henna's paw pads look blue in color or pink?

Is she limping on the leg with the swollen paw?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her paw pad has normal color. Which is black.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Is she limping on that paw?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mage is only slightly limping. We did a foot soak to try to reduce swelling and pain. With warm water and Epsom salt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks,

I am sorry to hear that her paw is quite swollen. I am glad to hear that she is only slightly limping though as this is a good indication that she should not have any neurologic damage to her leg or paw. Neurologic damage is typically the biggest concern with a paw that has had the circulation cut off for an extended period of time. I have seen other cats that have had a similar problem to Henna, usually caused by a bandage being wrapped too tight on their leg. The good news is that these cats almost always recover very well once the bandage is removed. At this point as long as she is not showing any signs of dragging her paw or holding her paw up in the air, you can continue home care treatments. If she does start to drag her paw or will not put weight on her leg then I would definitely take her to your vet.

Epsom salts are great in reducing swelling and reducing pain therefore I am happy to hear that you have already started soaking her paw. I would continue to soak her paw until the swelling is gone every 12 hours for about 5 minutes per soak.

Overall, she really should be fine as long as she is using her leg well as it does not sound like she has any neurologic damage to her paw.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Matt