Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have an old cat --16 years --We have had recent testd and

Customer Question

I have an old cat --16 years --We have had recent testd and he is not diabetic and has no thyroid disease--diagnosed with kidney dsease--and probable cancer We are giving him a steroid prescription, and he's been loosing a lot of weight and drinking much water.
Today his back legs don't work. he is staying in a box that he was able to crawl into. he cant walk. Any ideas? What can we do for him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Shadow. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

if he can't use his back legs, he might have a blood clot in his lower spine, or some other problem with his spinal cord.

Was his blood pressure checked when the blood tests were done? Cats with kidney disease can have high blood pressure, which can lead to blood clots. If it is a clot, we have to wait for it to be absorbed, and sometimes we start aspirin to prevent more clots (1/1 of a baby aspirin only once to twice a week), and start blood pressure medication.

Until he can be checked by a veterinarian, all you can do is try to keep him eating and as comfortable as possible. Let me know what other questions you have.