Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I think my cat got scratched in the eye by a kitten, eyes

Customer Question

I think my cat got scratched in the eye by a kitten, eyes got infected, treated with Terramycin. They have cleared up, but now he acts like it hurts him to walk around for to long, is it possible he got cat scratched and his lifnodes have been effected? He meows like he is hurting and lays back down. I got catscratch fever before and it seems to be like the same symptoms. What can I do for him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Dewey. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I have actually never heard of a cat getting cat scratch fever, only transmitting it to people, so I looked it up on a website of veterinary specialists called VIN, Veterinary Information Network. The "vast" majority of cats that get infected with Bartonella (the organism that causes cat scratch fever) do not get sick. A very few have a transient fever.

So if this were my own cat, I would probably be looking for another reason for Dewey's illness. I would check him for fever (normal rectal temperature is between 101 and 102), enlarged lymph nodes, viral diseases like feline leukemia and feline AIDS. However, I might consider treating him with tetracycline or doxycycline or minocycline for cat scratch fever and other Bartonella and other tick carried diseases, especially if he has enlarged lymph nodes and a fever.

He may also have a more common thing seen in cats that have been bitten by another cat: an abscess under the skin caused by an infected bite wound. These can be hard to find, and a cat will do what you describe: act painful, reluctant to move, resist being picked up.

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Dewey doing?