Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice,
18324312

Bob... How are you? Im facing another cat problem now. My

Customer Question

Hi Dr Bob... How are you? Im facing another cat problem now. My another cat, 12 year old Male Birman cat has tumour on his stomach. Its quite a huge one. The vet here suggest to go for biopsy/surgery etc - but i honestly dont want my old cat to go through
this. So i decided to keep it as it is - givehin much love/attention/food etc. But now he is getting very very skinny, he starts to pee everywhere (very dark yellowish pee colour) , he cant barely walk, he eats a bit, not drinking much, his fur looks not healthy
- basically he is going down hill. I wish i could take him to go through all this surgery , but i feel it will be too much for him to go through. Im confused whether to take him to go through surgery or to put him to sleep? Please help - im confused.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hello, its Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of Angelo's sad condition. I went through a similar situation recently with a much-loved ca,t and my advice is fairly simple: Continue to keep him comfortable and feeling loved until it is quite clear that he's not enjoying his life, then let him go.

As he's losing weight, the chances are very good that the cancer has already spread in his body, so even should he survive the surgery, his long-term outlook would still be dim.

He's had a long life in a loving home, and it just doesn't get better than that for a pet. To hold on to a suffering pet too long can become selfish. Love him while you have him and let him go when the quality of his life is obviously poor.

If I can answer any more questions for you, please let me know.

Warm regards, *****