Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat apparently fell asleep on a mobility, then fell off

Customer Question

My cat apparently fell asleep on a mobility walker, then fell off getting her long tail caught in the side rail/thing. She SCREECHED, waking half the house, but got herself free before I could get to her...
I saw her hopping/limping away, until she laid down under a chair, and began crying out for me(she does this regularly anyway.) I was able to coax her into a cared with a trail of treats. She's rolling in there now, wanting me..
Please advise! No doubt my husband will tell me to wait, watch her, before taking her to get. I want to take her now!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing any wounds or bleeding?

Can you gently palpate her tail, hips, back, and hind legs. Any tenderness?

If you get her standing, can she walk normally?

Is she just favoring one back leg? Any swellings, wounds, instability or boney crunching when you feel that leg?

Any changes to her breathing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unbelievably, after being in the crate for so long (an hour or so, while I tried to find a doctor available this early!) she walked right out, after I checked her o, she got away from us and JUMPED up, and just now DOWN from the bed.... I can't believe it - although I'm so glad she's so much better. Right after she fell, she hopped away, holding up one foot, then sort of fell over, then kept flipping over & over again, trying to find a comfy place/way to lay.. and she kept meowing - although she is QUITE a talker.
We also tried to palpable, ETC., but she did nothing but complain and squirm, which is pretty normal for her.What do you think?! Is there anything else I can try?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am very glad to hear that she is moving comfortably. I suspect she was just as shocked and stressed about what happened as you were. And that was likely why she screamed as opposed to severe pain from injury.

At this stage, as long as she is breathing comfortably and we are seeing her use the leg now, then we'd need only monitor her and potentially warm compress the leg. If you do not have a compress on hand, you can make this by filling a sock 2/3rds full with uncooked rice. Afterwards, that can be warmed in the microwave for a few minutes (give it a shake to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).

Overall, it just sounds like she has given herself more of a scare then harm. So, we need only let her settle, calm, and if she shows any lameness in the morning when her regular vet is open, then we'd want to have her checked so that kitty safe pain relief can be dispensed for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!! I am on my tablet, which is a pain, at the moment... Can this conversation possibly be sent to my email address, so I am sure not to miss anything with the vet? It's***@******.***Thank you again, SO MUCH, for your help while I was pretty much freaking out. This is well worth the money!!!Take care,
Cassie Pohl
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

There should be a link to the conversation in your email, but you should be able to access as needed from any computer as long as you are logged in. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Casandra,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.