Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has some type of bite. He was acting strange and when

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has some type of bite. He was acting strange and when I went to pick him up he gave a loud cry like he was in pain. He can walk around but he is trying to hide (which is not like him). He is spayed and neutered and up to date on his shots. He has a puncture wounds on his leg and abdomen, dilated pupils, and doesn't want to be near me (which is not usual behavior. The areas are very tender especially the one on her stomach.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

By the principle of Occam's Razor your cat was in a cat fight. You should see the other guy! He's going to need a systemic antibiotic administered by his vet or those bite wounds will abscess and then require surgical debridement, flushing, and perhaps drains installed. In general you have approximately 36 hours to administer the antibiotic in order to avoid a cellulitis - a painful inflammation of the tissue which is what you're seeing now - turning into an abscess. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.